Saturday, September 3, 2016

Bear Fruit

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
And whoever captures souls is wise.
- Proverbs 11:30

This weekend, we arrived in our new location. September is suddenly breezy, not muggy. Leaves outside our new dining room window curl at the edges with a suggestion of burgundy. An ornate stone church rises above the tree line, two blocks away.

At the nearby Fresh Market, I found my favorite coffee and some Pennsylvania apples. Soon, the apples will grace my grandmother's round table. After a seven-year hiatus,the table has been  pulled from storage at last. Today, I'm applying a layer of Johnson's paste wax with a soft cloth. The warm wood glows like amber in the autumn light, and I have begun to think about Christmas.

Being here is a gift.



A new season begins at the end of our last one. I pray that I will be awake to joy and meaning while I'm in it, even when pressed by the demands of my doctoral program. A heavy workload awaits, which I intend to embrace, but it would be a serious mistake for me to make this season only about work. For the fruit of it should be a changed life, which changes lives, and that means I need to be fully present.




No comments:

Post a Comment