Sunday, August 14, 2016

Rejuvenate


Crunch time has arrived. Exams, moving, and orientation will happen in rapid succession in two weeks. I'm still behind schedule, mostly from being sick for ten days. Although I was taking good care of myself, I caught a summer cold. The good news is that I'm recovering without any complications. There isn't anything wrong with me or with my life. We are merely navigating the ordinary turbulence of moving and entering a new, advanced, academic program. The bad news is that August just became much more challenging. When I think about what must be done, I feel overwhelmed.
Surely you know what I mean. Stressful times come to all of us, and we have to find ways to keep going, ways to stay strong. I have to force myself to focus on the next step. I have to guard myself from the twin dysfunctions of worry and procrastination. On nights when I lie awake for a while, I have to deliberately remember the truth I know. Above all, I have to decide to be grateful. For these needs, I appreciate your prayers for wisdom, endurance, efficiency, and peace.
On a funny note, after ten days indoors, I went on a shopping spree yesterday with a pile of gift cards which I had been saving. For those of you who may recall my aversion for retail activity, this is hilarious. But I had a great time! I lingered over a blonde Strarbucks misto coffee, fresh fruit, granola, and date rolls. I bought needed clothing from three nice stores to refresh my tired wardrobe. I splurged on my favorite coffee beans at The Fresh Market. I got a hair cut which I like better than I have liked any haircut in years. I went out in the morning feeling tired, strained, and discourged. In the afternoon, I returned home energized, smiling, and ready to work. As I said to Chris, "I feel like a princess." A big thank-you goes out to all of you who have given me a gift card over the past year. You were in a fresh breeze in the sails of my little boat. This was more than a little retail therapy: it was a self-care session which will benefit me for weeks.
A month from now, I hope to be settled into my new location with classes and textbooks! Won't that be amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment