Sunday, June 5, 2016

Rainy Groove



It will be stormy today. This makes me happy. I concentrate better when it's stormy. I thought this was my secret until I came across a post by Claire Trevien on 7 tips for Boosting Productivity when Working at Home.  

Tip #4 by Claire is to "choose the right soundtrack." She links this idea to a previous post where her #1 suggestion is RAIN. (You read that right.) She suggests the website Rainy Mood.

In grad school, rainy days have been flow days for me, when I do my best work, when I feel happiest, when I think, "This is living!" (Weird, huh? ) Maybe it's because the lower light and the sounds of rain soften my environment so that I have fewer sensory distractions. Maybe it's a leftover from my former gardening days, when I watched for the rain, and rain also meant resting. Grad school changed my type of work, but not my affinity for rain.

I kept my secret happiness to myself, because a lot of people don't like rainy weather.

You can imagine my surprise when I realized that my secret delight is not a secret. Instead, it's a tactic for productivity! It even has a website! Who knows? Maybe there are clubs and support groups for rainy mood workers.

Just for fun, I added my own twist to Claire's rainy mood idea. While writing this post, I've been listening to Rainy Mood and an instrumental music station on Pandora at the same time. I feel enfolded in a wall of soft, white noise. Perfect!

Now I just need a Nespresso machine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment